L4 COUNSELLING COURSE APPLIED SKILLS AND PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE IN COUNSELLING AT AMC (ANTRIM METHODIST CHURCH)
Cost: £850 per year which includes fees for OCN
Location: Antrim Methodist Church- Monday’s 7-10pm beginning on the 16th of Jan 2023
To equip students with the knowledge, skill, and attitude framework for counselling practice from a Christian world view whereby they can develop a systematic integrative philosophy and practice while gaining insight and personal development.
To equip students with a more in-depth and contemporary examination of the Action Centred, Solution Focused Approaches compared to the Person-Centred Approach or Cognitive Behavioural/Rational Emotive Approach. Students will use tools, skills, and theories for an evidenced base approach to analyse and evaluate inputs and outcomes as they reflect through and develop an understanding and approach to counselling, professional practice, supervision and continuing professional development. This Course is an interactive course with didactic teaching, group work, real-play and evidenced through a portfolio. Below are some of the areas covered.
- Client Centred,
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Five Circle model – Christian approach
- Problem Management approach
- Solution focused Brief Therapy (SFBT or SFT)
Topic modules covered
- Counselling skills; conceptual models and theory
- Counselling skills ethics and practices
- Counselling skills for organisations
- Counselling skills for transcultural settings
- Counselling skills for bereavement and loss
- Continued professional development in counselling
There will be theory and practice on each of the different areas and gaining insight into working professionally within an organisation either in a voluntary or paid employment.
Students need to find a placement and have to achieve 100hrs of supervised practice to develop further in counselling.
Cmist Counselling is affiliated with ACC
Adhering to the guidelines for student training to become a Christian Counsellor
The core training is endorsed through Northern Ireland Open College Network (NIOCN) .
Association of Christian Counselling (ACC) – professional body
We encourage ACC Student Membership and progressing to membership of ACC’s student register when you begin your placement. Through our student membership you could benefit from the help and support of others who are on a similar journey.
Possible progression unto –
- To continue professional development with supervised practice through to accreditation.
- Progression onto the level 5 in counselling
- Develop skills of counselling in work or voluntary settings
Course Tutor – Dr Karen Doherty PhD, BSc HONS, SEN, ILM, ACCED FNCS
Contact person – Rev Stephen Thompson Phone 07832774629 Email:email@example.com